Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Monday, March 31, 2008

XM / Syrius Satellite Radio Merger - Programming to Suffer?

OK, well ol' Ace used to think, "Who in their right minds would shell out good money to pay for satellite radio, when they can listen to the same ol' tired crap for free on regular FM radio?"

So a couple of years ago when I bought my Infiniti G35, I passed on installing Syrius.

But last year, I bought a new SUV that came equipped with XM and a free 3 month trial.

I got hooked. Amazing! Unfriggenbelievable! So good I haven't listened to FM radio in over a year now. In fact, I went out and bought an XM Sportster radio for my G, which has the added benefit of being portable so I can take it jogging with me.

Now it looks like the XM /Syrius merger is gonna get approved. This is my concern: are the unique channels that one doesn't hear on regular radio now gonna disappear due to cost cutting bean counters?

I listen to 2 channels on XM mostly - #72 (Beyond Jazz - a way cool, modern, fusion, etc. jazz station) and #84 (Chill out music - so cool I don't even need my air conditioner anymore). I hear musicians and bands now that I never in 100 years would hear on regular FM radio. ESPECIALLY HERE IN BAKERSFIELD!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know for certain, but, I suspect that neither of these 2 channels cater to the bland, boring tastes of the masses. (I know most of my friends in Bakersfield say, "You listen to what?")

So my fear is that these 2 (and many of the other "niche" channels) will get dropped once the "suits" start forcing the bottom line, dollar-wise.

What do y'all think?

No comments: