Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Reuban Estrada Concert - Follow-up to Earlier Post

OK - the concert was great, I had a great time, it brought back memories - mostly good, a few a little melancholy, but overall, I made a good decision. Reuban looked (and sounded, of course) just like I remembered him. Hard to believe he just turned 70. Just a fantastic band, a fantastic night of latin jazz!

A side plus to it all - I made some new friends and got reacquainted with some others.

Met Reuban's keyboard player, Mark Massey, before the concert and again during the intermission. He seemed to be a pretty cool, down to earth guy. (Mark - I hope you got through the snow on the Grapevine today in time to make your gig in Orange.)

Also met some real nice folks attending the concert, including a guy with whom I had business dealings in the past and hadn't seen in years and whose son played keyboards for the Bakersfield Jazz Youth orchestra, who opened the night. You and your lovely wife must be very proud Robert. A very talented bunch of kids I might add.

Then there was Jeannette (from Glasgow, Scotland - how some folks find their way to Bako I can never get over!) and her friend Ruth. Don't worry - that woman who complained about you 2 talking during the concert must have had her hearing aid up too loud and pointed in the wrong direction. Unfriggenbelievable what she said to you two.

And finally, I had the most pleasurable experience of meeting Kama Ruby, a very talented jazz "chanteuse" (whom I had seen open for Tom Scott last October) and, as I later learned, a talented actress as well! Kama said she was a rocker girl wanna be too, but, as I told her, there aren't many things in life cooler than being a jazz singer/musician. I hope to see more of her performances in the future. (And if I might add, she's drop dead, jaw dropping gorgeous too, with a personality to match it! - Calm down Ace!)

So there you have it. To say it wasn't so bad is an understatement. I'm really glad I went!

No comments: