Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

I once showed Cliff Drysdale how to hit a one-handed backhand

Ol' Ace was going through his computer files today, deleting stuff, saving other stuff, when he dusted off some old photos from a tennis clinic at the (now closed) Laurel Glen Tennis Club in Bakersfield, CA. The clinic was run by none other than famed tennis great Cliff Drysdale.

 


Two remarkable and memorable things about that clinic stick in MY memory:

 

1. During forehand and backhand groundstroke drills, Cliff would watch each of us, then offer some tips on how to adjust or improve our strokes. After seeing me hit he said, "Gee, I've been watching you for several minutes now and...I really can't think of anything that you need to improve! Keep up the good play!"

 




 2. I showed Cliff how to hit a one-handed backhand (he was famous for using two hands back in the day).

Just sayin...had a great time.

Me and my bud, Cliff...



No comments: