Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

There Will Be Blood - Daniel Day-Lewis's Lines?

OK - right after I ranted about this flik only being in 1 other theater, it opened yesterday at the Marketplace. So I hopped right down and caught the noon show.

What a GREAT movie! Oh man - first 15 minutes had no dialog but what a marvel of cinematic exposition.

I only had 1 complaint:

The ending was a little over the top, a little too histrionic, almost too black humoristic, including the final line uttered. (That's as far as I go without spoiling it for anyone.)

But, I had another interesting observation. Has anyone else seen this flick and what do you think of the following:

I swear, every time Daniel Day-Lewis spoke his lines in this movie, he seemed to be using the same tone and the same cadence as Smith from The Matrix flicks!. There was absolutely no reason for this to be, and I feel real stupid for mentioning it, but everytime he said something it sounded like Smith. Goofy observation on my part - maybe I'm just stretching here.

Anyway - I understand most of the flick was shot in Texas, but, you'd swear it looked like the Taft/Midway/Fellows area. References to early development of the oil industry, all the shady dealings, exploitation , competition - it was all great. I worked in the oil industry for almost 25 years - so much of it rang true. Great sense of history and a compelling story.

No comments: