Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Spyware - final take

OK - all the big spyware companies couldn't do the job - I sent them tons of emails and scan logs, and they couldn't stop the spyware from downloading malware.

So, Ace took matters into his own hands. I went into my Norton firewall and added my own blocking rules. Stopped the spyware dead in its tracks. Mind you, it's still lurking somewhere in my registry, but, it can't access the website that was triggering all the bad stuff that was infesting my PC.

What a joke - I asked all the companies how could I block these sites and no one had an answer, not even Norton who made my firewall.

Now, how could a non-geek like me come up with a simple solution that worked? I spent 2.5 weeks working with these anti-spyware companies and none of them suggested doing what I did, and it worked the first time I tried it. Knock on wood, it still is working - I'll just block more sites if I get attacked again.

No comments: