Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Will the U.S. Open be cancelled?

This year's U.S. Open, one of the 4 major tournaments on the professional tennis tour, normally the final Grand Slam of the year, is still on the schedule for play, starting August 31. (The French Open had already re-scheduled its tournament for the end of September.)


Photo Credit: Jeffrey P. Horne at https://flickr.com/photos/45948592@N04/48667665777.

The big question of course is, will it still happen? Three of the sport's biggest stars, defending Men's champion Rafa Nadal, the controversial Nick Kyrgios, and Women's World #1, Ash Barty, have announced they will not enter the tournament because of COVID-19 concerns.

Nadal made his announcement yesterday, saying on Twitter, "After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it."

"We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play, I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen. We have just seen the announcement of Madrid not being played this year."

"All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV."

"This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel."

Barty made her announcement on July 29, saying, "My team and I have decided that we won't be travelling to the US and Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year."

"I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to COVID-19 and I don't feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position

How many others will follow their lead? Will that matter to the organizers?

What do you think? Comments please.

No comments: