Cookie Notice

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services, to personalize ads, and to analyze traffic. Information about your use of this site is shared with Google. By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Naomi Osaka reverses course and now will play her semi-final match at the Western & Southern Open

Naomi Osaka announced today that she has changed her mind and WILL play her semi-final match at the Western & Southern Open. The match will now be played this Friday.

Photo Credit: Peter Menzel / CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)

All Men's and Women's matches at the tournament originally scheduled for Thursday were postponed after Osaka announced yesterday that she was withdrawing. 

In explaining her decision, Osaka said, “As you know, I pulled out of the tournament yesterday in support of racial injustice and continued police violence. I was (and am) ready and prepared to concede the match to my opponent."

“However, after my announcement and lengthy consultation with the WTA and USTA, I have agreed at their request to play on Friday. They offered to postpone all matches until Friday and in my mind that brings more attention to the movement. I want to thank the WTA and the Tournament for their support.”


No comments: